The following safety tips are essential before and during any freeride tour:
- “Buddy system”: never enter off-piste terrain alone.
- Checked the avalanche report? And understood it?
- Weather forecast okay? Probably worth speaking to a local!
- All equipment to hand? This includes avalanche beacon, shovel, probe, and mobile phone.
- Carried out a avalanche beacon check? Regular practice with avalanche beacon, probe, and shovel is important!
- Does the group meet my ability level? Or will I be putting myself at too much risk?
- Are other people also using my route? Always keep them in view!
- Keep your distance! Even if slopes appear safe, it is better to descend individually.
- If in doubt, it is better to leave out any slope that could be critical!